Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SDS and commentary

Money's tight these days.
I was gonna abandon the SDS ride,
mostly on account of how much it would cost me to get up, get it on and get back. Additionally a near total lack of preparedness (9 rides over 1 hour since January?!) was seriously anchoring the whole of my confidence.

There is a certain respect for living - and riding - within ones own means, and this year caused me to sincerely hold that in question.

Carpe Diem.

I know the riders and rides now will simply not be available to me later. So north by northeast I went.


Guaranteed, a day will come when there will be no more long rides, and then...no more rides. Physical impairments or limitations, or a mere fading of my kinetic spirit to the burdens of age or circumstance...I know there will be a last century. Perhaps it can be demoralizing or outright morbid to consider this, but on the other hand I consider it an opportunity to remind myself why I am compelled to keep my bikes rolling. The memories of long rides, even after a mere 20 years, are just too damn good to give up contributing to my own history that way.


I'll never forget:

We all rolled out of the lodge, a bit cranky, holding our breath on account of rainy weather and carpenters 3rd bike. Quickly though, we were enveloped by the dramatic beards hollow: A narrow V cut deep into the Alleghany country rock through which some CCC workers managed to bench cut a trail some 80 years ago. It's an Appalachian canyon, capped with 13 switchbacks that carry the trail up to mountain side - another world class trail.

Everyone was awestruck heading up the hollow. It was clear to everyone at that moment that this was indeed a magical part of the weekend - I can't remember seeing riders so collectively euphoric.

Etched in my head forever is the train, winding around those switchbacks - everyone laughing and yelping up and down at each other as the line wrapped around itself, 10 feet higher each time.

Thanks for reminding me why I ride.

Thanks to everyone for their company, conversation and to the mtb widows for their cuisine support. I wish I could package my experience and serve it back - minus the suffering of course.

No comments: