Sunday, May 4, 2008

Riding Fast

Not riding messes with one's head.

No wonder people who don't ride are so strange to me.

Content.
Satisfied.
Learning what the man says to learn.
Following his instructions.
Working 8-6.
I've stopped riding for the time being:
Following instructions,
living like everyone else,
driving to work,
doing my homework ontime,
getting all As,
keeping the bossman happy,
it's all so damn easy now.
Watching the evening news.
Buying new khakis online.
Going to bed at 10.
A great life is achieved.
All my friends do it.
They love it.
They've been waiting for it,
the real job,
after 6 years of prep,
it's the climax.

Entropic, ambient forces.
Social gravity.
The rank of lowest energy.
Being reduced to a lowest common denominator.
Everyone is the same.
EVERYONE IS THE SAME.
You should work during the day because that's when everyone else works.
Oh wow, a job offer!
It's 65k!
Fine Print:
We expect you to be like everyone else,
drive to work in the city,
buy an overpriced shitshack in the burbs,
eat lunch at noon,
don't ask any questions,
obey.

Hmm, this job is
in Charlotte.
Raleigh.
Knoxville.
Philadelphia.
Boston.
Cleveland.
They only want 50 hour weeks.
...To start.
No pension, profit sharing or 401k though.
But...It could work.
Those cities have bike paths.
I could drive to the mountains on weekends.
Its only
4 hours
6 hours
8 hours.
...one way.
As long as I obey.
I'll go for a ride to think about it.

Viaduct.
3000 vertical...down.
The gravel rumbles,
the rig floats.
A return to the top
The southland in the springtime
Is there anywhere else to be in April?
I rise out of the piedmont,
into the high country.
The view collects in my soul.
I know the city, the job, the life,
would crush it.

And I could just never obey.
not that way.

"Withdraw resume from this online application?"
click.





"I must create my own system or forever become enslaved by another man's."

1 comment:

Ali B. said...

I love this. It is from your head? love it, love it, love it... mind if I print it & hang it on my fridge?