Wednesday, May 21, 2008

IFP Tool and TALAS workings...


Well, the cost of having a TALAS cartridge serviced by Fox, PUSH, etc is so heavy, that I was able to make a few mistakes and still come out well over 100 bucks ahead of the game. Additionally, I now have a genuine understanding of how my fork works so I can continue to keep it working without the Fox Service umbilical. Also gained some more hum-drum practice in basic machining with mild steel.

Pictured is an IFP tool I made for myself - ones I sold on ebay tended to appear more refined.

In the works is a java applet that illustrates the TALAS system in action - a simple enough mechanism that is far from complex: Best described as clever and finiky. Initial Charles' Law calculations using empirical volume measurements and pressures indicate the system is only marginally linear under a narrow band of ideal STP. An idea is brewing for an infinitely adjustable TALAS type system that offers better linearity with less finikyness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I would be very happy if you could send me the CAD drawing of your tool... Would like to service my old 2007 talas Fork at low cost...

Thanks!

Marpilli said...

I've put together a step-by-step guide to building your own IFP tool. Link to the current version can be found on http://about.me/marpilli