Sunday, March 16, 2008

torches can't quite fix everything...or can they?




Aluminized steel used in exhaust piping doesn't take to the brass particularly well, even though it's listed at only 3% Al, 96% Fe. I'll be looking to put a sample under the EDAX here this week and see what that says for composistion.
I ended up finishing this job with my max torch tip, full throttle on the fuel and a coat hanger as stick. I guess it'll hold. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to attempt exhaust adjoinment via brazing. Now I know why. It's too bad since the joint would never corrode.



The ol' green machine has some much bigger concerns these days, anyway...



The dashboard lights burned out. The heater core was clogged. I should install two coolant lines for proper grease car conversion. The air control box failed. The blower motor lost both bearings. The cruise control controller had a loose wiring harness. AND I had a pretzel from like 10 years ago stuck in the bottom of the shift linkage box. So, now an eviscerated mess.
I know, deep in my heart, that a torch can fix this situation too. I will consider it sporting to avoid this resolution, for now.

No comments: